The National Electronic Media Institute of South Africa - NEMISA came into being as an institution of education and learning, specializing in teaching the production and technical skills applicable to the TV, radio and broadcasting industries. Formed as part of a government initiative in 1998, its fundamental purpose was to train previously disadvantaged individuals, particularly women, and equip them with the skills necessary to play significant roles in the broadcasting environment. NEMISA operates from a modern office and studio complex centrally situated in Parktown, Johannesburg.
NEMISA is currently in the process of becoming the Ikamva National e-Skills Institute (iNeSI). This is an intergration of three entities, NEMISA, e-Skills Institute and the Institute for Satellite and Software Applications (ISSA).
The focus of the new entity is on developing e-skills capacity in South Africa by creating partnership framework that guides e-skills initiatives. NEMISA/iNeSI is part of the solution to ensure that South Africans have the necessary ICT skills (e-skills/digital skills)
The institute works on on a national, provincial and local level. Head Office being in Parktown, coordinates nationally and our Colabs focus on e-skilling on a provincial level.
The Colabs are based at universitites and each has an e-skills thematic focus.
1. The Northern Cape/Southern Gauteng Colab is based at the Vaal University of Technology and its focus is: Knowledg-based econom and e-social astuteness (e-literacy)
2. The Kwazulu-Natal Colab is based at the Durban University of Technolog and its focus is: e-enablement for effective srvice delivery.
3. The Western Cape Colab is based at the University of the Western Cape and its focus is: e-Inclusion and Social Innovation.
4. The Limpopo Colab is based at the University of Limpopo and its focus is: Connected Health
5. The Eastern Cape Colab is based at the Walter Sisulu University and its focus is : ICT for Rural Development
6. The North West Colab is based at the University of the North West and its focus is : e-agro Tourism
7. The Gauteng Colab (NEMISA) is based in Parktown and its focus is : Creative New Media